Electronic Cigarette – Any good? Do Electric Cigarettes Help Quit Smoking?
Posted June 29, 2011on:
This is my first hand review of Electric Cigarettes – If you or someone you know is trying to quit smoking, then read on:
Right, so first of all you need to make your mind up to quit. Unless you have the motivation to quit, it’ll be hard – whether it’s fear of lung cancer (chances of which increase massively after the age of 34), fear of having an unhealthy baby, fear of bad skin, low stamina, fear of any other form of cancer (mouth, throat) or even fear of low sexual appetite or whether it’s a sudden awakening where you just want to be healthier, or you want to quit for a loved one – anything! To quit smoking you need motivation and once you have that, there are many things that can help you quit. Electric cigarettes are one of them.
Today I will review E-Lites – the electronic cigarette I have been using for some time now.
Once you decide to quit, it is natural for you to have nicotine cravings. Nicotine is the substance, found in tobacco that gets you addicted to cigarettes, whereas TAR is the substance produced when tobacco is burnt that gives you cancer. In order to deal with that nicotine craving, you may want to give your body nicotine in ways other than smoking real cigarettes and reduce its quantity gradually to completely lose nicotine addiction. Following are some popular nicotine replacement products:
- Nicotine patches – These are good, and I’ve tried these, but they give me a constant lump in my throat and when I do see my colleagues taking a cigarette break, I cannot resist. So for me – Nicotine patches fail.
- Nicotine chewing gum – Better, much better than nicotine patches. reason why nictone gum is better than nicotine patches is – you chew it when you feel the craving. Once you’ve chewed it, you know that you’ve taken some action to substitute for smoking. With a patch, you do nothing, it’s glued to your body and you’re constantly thinking of smoking (or at least that’s how I feel). So go ahead and buy some nicotine gum and see if that works for you. When your colleagues go for a cigarette break, you take your gum and go out for that break that your body is so used to. Nicotine gum – pass!
- Nicotine lozenges – same as nicotine chewing gum, except you don’t chew it, you suck it like a toffee.
- Nicotine inhalers (nose inhalers and mouth inhalers) – A very quick way of getting nicotine into your body using your lungs, in stead of mouth lining, which is used in case of gum and lozenges and your skin which is used in case of nicotine patches. Pass – you take action, take your attention off whatever you’re doing, take out your inhaler, inhale and you feel you’ve done what’s required to give your body nicotine.
- Non nicotine based quitting techniques like acupuncture, yoga etc – I can’t comment on these as I haven’t tried them, but I have a friend who found great success with acupuncture.
- Nicotine Mouth Sprays (you may have heard about Nicorette – for every cigarette, there’s a Nicorette) – I have used Nicorette and I can tell you it is one of the worst tasting nicotine replacement products. A big FAIL, I’m afraid. Many of my friends couldn’t use it after the first spray and if you have a slight cut in your tongue, (as I did once) God help you bear the pain.
- Electronic Cigarettes – Electric cigarettes are battery operated gadgets that have something called an atomiser and a nicotine carrying gel. The atomiser breaks the gel into very fine smoke-like gaseous particles that can be inhaled and look like smoke. This is probably not the most accurate definition if you’re looking to get in to the science bit – please Google it. The atomiser and battery remain, but the nicotine gel runs out and needs replacing once in a while. I have only tried E-Lites and I have to say – E-cigarettes are the easiest and most innovative solution to quit smoking. Here’s why:
- It takes time to smoke – When you smoke an E-cigarette, it takes you 2-3 minutes until you start feeling you’ve had enough. Most of us smoke cigarettes socially – smoking gives us a break, an opportunity to get away from work, talk with colleagues, just an overall better feeling. All forms of nicotine replacement change that. With electric cigarettes however, you can still go out for that little break without giving yourself cancer.
- It gives you that “back of the throat” push like real cigarettes do – I did try one non-electronic tobacco-less cigarette once and the main reason why I couldn’t stick to it was – it didn’t give me the smoke punch that a real cigarette does. E-Lites are miraculous because these guys have been able to generate smoke thick enough to give that back of the throat push.
- It is cheaper – Don’t know by how much etc. Please go to E-Lites website to see their packages, but this is way cheaper than buying a 20 pack for 7.50 pound sterling.
- It feels like a real cigarette – You hold it like a real cigarette, it gives out smoke like a real cigarette. It is about 5 times heavier though (because of the in-built battery).
- These usually come in various flavours – Although E Lites only do normal cigarette and menthol flavours, other E-cigarette companies do various other flavours like apple, grape, clove, menthol, coffee, cherry, blueberry etc.
- Leaves you with no excuse to continue smoking – People who continue to smoke, to me are just losers. This is as close as you can get to real smoking without getting cancer – what else do you want!! Excuses like “It’s not the same” are just loser talk. Of course it’s not the same, it’s an electronic representation to help YOU live longer! lol!
Electric Cigarettes - PASS!
As I said, first find the motivation to quit and then go ahead and buy yourself an electronic cigarette (don’t buy the disposable ones, buy the rechargeable ones) and quit smoking. Please! Do yourself and your family this favour – live! Quitting smoking has never been this easy. Good luck!